Theology and Apologetics Roundtable: Christ is the Fullness of Life...Even for Tom Brady

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Christ is the Fullness of Life...Even for Tom Brady




Those of you who know me, know that I am a devout fan of New England Patriots football. Waiting for NFL season to come around is more exciting for me than getting up early on a Christmas morning. I love football. I also love Tom Brady and Co. This is team that knows how to win season after season under the cerebral brilliance of Bill Belichick.

I came across this video of Brady's interview in 2005 on 60 Minutes. I actually remember watching this when it aired. To provide a little bit of context, Tom talks about how he's accomplished a lot at such a young age. 3 Super Bowl rings, supermodel wife, and millions in his bank account. The thing that really sparked my interest about the interview was Brady reflecting on his accomplishments and went on to say "Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there's something greater out there for me?...There's gotta be more than this."

Well Tom...there truly is more to life than Super Bowl rings. Jesus tells us in John 10:10, His mission was to come to this Earth and give man life abundantly. This abundant life Jesus is talking about is beyond the material realm. This is eternal, spiritual. According to Romans 3:23, we are all sinners and fall short of Gods' glory. Romans 6:23 tells us that the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. This is a free gift that you can have by a simple act of faith. Yet, sadly many today reject this truth and Jesus says in John 5:40, "and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life." Are you ready to take that step of faith? I want to ask you to turn to the Bible and read over these passages as many times as it takes until you can comprehend them completely.

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).
"In reply Jesus declared, 'I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again'" (John 3:3).
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:6).
"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame'" (Romans 10:9).
"And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again" (2 Corinthians 5:15).
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20).

In the meantime, my prayer for you is that the Lord would open the eyes of your heart and mind to the truth and see the abundant life that awaits you. I pray for the day that you can finally see that there is more to life than numerous Super Bowl rings. There's a meaningful life with Jesus Christ filled with a purpose. He has all the answers.

Go Pats!